Dunluce, or Lillianville as it was first known, is a typical late Victorian house with wooden facade and much of the original furnishings. It is one of Kimberley’s most elegant buildings. The name means “strong fortress” and is named after Dunluce Castle in Northern Ireland, the land of John Orr’s birth.
The house was designed by D W Greatbatch and built in 1897 for Gustav Bonas, Chairman of the Griqualand West Hebrew Congregation, member of the Diamond Syndicate and Director of the Diamond Fields Advertiser. In 1903 it was bought by John Orr, the founder of a chain of department stores of the same name. He and his successors lived here until 1975, when the house was purchased by Barlow Rand (Pty) Ltd. and donated to the McGregor Museum.